For Brother and Sister Henry and Audrey, link here.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Popular. Music.

Last week I was trumped by my four year old daughter in popular music awareness.
She had been singing something at the dinner table that Melissa and I had a hard time understanding, but finally got out something about "Can't put a RING on it" and "All the Single Ladies!"
It is disconcerting to hear your daughter, who was a toddler in your memory just about 5 minutes ago, singing anything at all about Single Ladies. Especially at the dinner table.
Fortunately both of these lyric fragments were googlable, and returned references to the song stylings of Beyonce. When we asked her, she divulged that it came from a CD at school called Kidz Bop, the website for which described said remakes as cleaned-up songs re-sung by kids (FUBU?). Of course I knew OF Beyonce Knowles, but was completely unaware of this song, which turns out to be years old and already parodied on SNL. And she also likes to sing this Train song too called Soul Sister, but I'm not all that ashamed that I didn't know this one.

I write as an embarrassed father. Already old, unhip and hopelessly behind the times, and could you please turn that crap down already? I can't hear myself think.
C'mon, really? I'm already behind at four? I really didn't see this coming. And I'm starting to really question my assumption that someday she will think my old Zeppelin, Beatles and Dylan are really great. Or really Easy Listening.
Well, Wheel of Fortune is over, so there's nothing left but to pop my dentures out and hit the hay. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

No comments: