For Brother and Sister Henry and Audrey, link here.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Hand Talk




A few weeks ago, Olivia approached me in the kitchen while I was setting the table for dinner.

"Can you get me that thing up there by the fridge?" she asked while holding her hand flat on it's side and gesturing up and down.

"What thing is that, honey?"

"That thing up there...the orange and colored things..." all with the little hand gesture, and increased frustration.

From the dining room, Mommy: "She means the vitamins."

I laughed for quite a while, realizing that this was just the first demonstrated inheritance of her mother's "hand discourse" skills. Which have nothing at all to do with the sign language I described tonight for the babies in another post. Nor usually do the gestures have anything to do with the things either Olivia or Melissa are trying to indicate or describe. It is truly endearing.
And like the gestures, these pictures have nothing to do with the story I am describing here in text. The sleeping photo is the way we found her one night hours after we thought we had put her to sleep in bed. She brought these three of her friends down to the floor with her.
They are truly dedicated toys.
And the other photo is just one I like.
The photos are from late January and early February, 2010.

No comments: